Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Simple Things...Simple Tasks...


I'm not really sure how to even begin this post today as my heart contains so much...it is overflowing...I've been like that alot lately... The more time I spend in God's presence, the fuller I become. Every morning as I sit with my Bible, journal, and devotional, God meets me here. He speaks truth and encouragement to my heart. Sometimes the truth comes through correction and conviction, sometimes it comes through confirmation. Regardless of how it comes, I arise from my "resting place" blessed and renewed.

Lately I have just had this overabundance of joy and I bless God for that. In the past I have had to have a "reason" or an explanation for feeling this way... I can remember one day several weeks ago that I found myself walking through the house, doing laundry with a smile on my face. Immediately I thought, "Okay, here I am, doing laundry, teaching our girls, doing every day life and I have a smile on my face. I feel happy, there must be a reason. Has something happened today that has lifted my spirits? Is there something coming up in the near future that I am looking forward to that would explain this joy?" Ever so gently the Lord said, "Mendi, it's Me. I am the source of that joy. As you spend time with Me, I will fill you, replenish you, encourage you, give you a reason for living. I am am the Reason. You need no other explanation for the fullness of your heart. I am enough." The reality of "this visit" brought rest to my heart, peace to my mind, reassurance to my soul. I realized at that moment that I need no other reason for feeling happy, being joyful, finding simple purpose in life. Jesus is reason enough! I don't need an exciting happening scheduled into my day to "get me going" or an anticipated event to push me onward. Jesus is reason enough to be eager to open my eyes, plant my feet on the floor and declare, "It's a new day"!

As I opened Oswald this morning and read the words that were printed, the Holy Spirit touched me, reassured me, confirmed in my spirit...
"Arise and eat"
1 Kings 19:5
The angel in this passage did not give Elijah a vision, or explain the Scriptures to him, or do anything remarkable. He
simply told Elijah to do a very ordinary thing, that is, to get up and eat. If we were never depressed, we would not be alive--only material things don't suffer depression. If human beings were not capable of depression, we would have no capacity for happiness or exaltation.
When the Spirit of God comes to us, he does not give us glorious visions, but He tells us to do the most ordinary things imaginable. Depression tends to turn us away from the everyday things of God's creation. But whenever God steps in, His inspiration is to do the most natural, simple things--things we would never have imagined God was in, but as we do them we find Him there. The inspiration that comes to us in this way is an initiative against depression. But we must take the first step and do it in the inspiration of God. If, however, we do something simply to overcome our depression, we will only deepen it. But when the Spirit of God leads us instinctively to do something, the moment we do it the depression is gone. As soon as we arise and obey, we enter a higher plane of life. ~ Oswald Chambers

I once again find through the words the Holy Spirit inspired this man to pen so many years ago that only God knows what "makes me tick", what key it is that "unlocks my heart", what "simple thing" is going to fill my heart with joy and happiness. For so long I was always looking for, depending on, anticipating, the "big events" in life to keep my spirit encouraged and hopeful when I have learned ever-so-clearly that it's the "simple tasks" that refuel my tank. "Simple tasks" that only God sees, knows, ordains. It may be folding a piece of laundry, cooking a specific meal, dusting a particular piece of furniture, hand-writing a note of encouragement, singing a touching praise chorus, hugging a child, calling someone just to say, "I love you", dwelling on the solitude of silence, drinking a cup of hot tea at an odd hour, sorting through old pictures with my girls, gazing into the sky, finding a sunny spot and "resting" there... It's the "simple things" that God "hand-picks" and then lays upon my heart to overflow my cup... It's my choice as to whether or not I listen and respond regardless of how much I understand why I would be compelled to do that "simple task" that makes no sense... It's not about common-sense but all about God-sense...

Go ahead...do the "unthinkable, non-understandable, simple task" that God is prodding your heart to act upon. If you do, you will be pleasantly surprised as to how full your heart will become!





1 comment:

  1. I read that same devotional and was so blessed by it this week! "Arise and eat". So simple and so profound. I've been finding joy in the big fat beauty snow flakes, the laughter of my children, and watching the birds at the feeder. God is in it all.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are always welcome... ♥