Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Discipline...


The Lord has so many things whirling, swirling through my mind this morning that I am having a little trouble knowing for sure what to "blog" about. Doesn't that mean "ramble"!?! I pray that the bulk of what I share is more than mere "ramblings"...I pray that it is thought-provoking, heart-stretching, mind-changing truth straight from the Holy Spirit. I pray that what I share conveys what God is teaching me and that in turn He uses it to reach someone else.

One thing on my mind this morning is the word discipline. The dictionary my grandma gave me when I graduated from 8th grade defines it this way: a state of order maintained by training and control; a particular system of regulations for conduct; systematic training, esp. of the mind or character; drill; punishment; chastisement; the effect of training, esp. order, efficiency, or obedience; a branch of instruction or learning; the methods or rules employed in regulating the conduct of the members of a church-

Of course all of that is true but the portion that is weighing heavy on my heart are the parts: a state of order maintained by training and control; systematic training, esp. of the mind or character; the effect of training, esp. order, efficiency, or obedience-

I don't know about you, but I can tell on a personal basis spiritually, mentally and emotionally and as a whole in our home when I/we are disciplined and when we aren't. When we are abiding by a state of order through training and control and when we are flying by the seat of our pants. When we are systematically training our minds and our character and when we are filling our minds with "the world" and the things therein. When we are being efficiently trained through obedience and control and when we are living for the moment. When we are taking every thought, motive and action captive being careful to place it before the throne of God and when we are merely acting/reacting on impulse giving no acknowledgment to what He desires.

As Christians the lives we live are not our own, they belong to our Creator. Day-after-day we enter into and walk out of 24 hour periods that are filled with choices and decisions that do one of two things...enhance our walk with God or place distance between us. Many times we make these decisions and choices without even thinking, praying, considering... As we have been trying to teach our girls...with every choice and decision there is a consequence. With every action there is a reaction. Not a moment of our existence goes unnoticed by God therefore every choice and decision we make matters to Him.

I find that more often than we realize Satan puts us in circumstances and situations in an attempt to "derail" our thinking/reasoning. Not always but many times we put ourselves in vulnerable situations and circumstances where God never intends for us to be...where the temptations are great and our wills are small...where the pressure is heavy and our determination falls short. Not always but many times we find ourselves in these places because of lack of discipline...lack of order, control, efficiency, obedience... We give no thought to God's thoughts or desires, we simply and naturally react according to our flesh.

Regardless of what set of situations or circumstances we are faced with, we ALWAYS have a choice... Regardless of how difficult situations and circumstances are in life, we ALWAYS have a choice... Regardless of the uncontrollable things that enter into our day, we ALWAYS have a choice...

This past weekend was a reminder to me that when we fall short of being spiritually disciplined...being in God's presence...being in God's Word...being in God's stillness...we tend to make choices and decisions contrary to His best for our lives. The results, consequences and reactions to those choices and decisions many times include discontentment, emptiness, overwhelment, guilt, disorder, spiritual depletion, instability, oppression and unrest. Many times those results, consequences and reactions don't just stop with us, unfortunately they trickle on down to our spouses, our children, our acquaintances...

I don't know about you, but I'm very well aware when my life personally and our home collectively is lacking in discipline...

As Kyle and I visited this morning, we as individuals, help-meets and parents, are determined to lead our home through the freedom of Jesus Christ, all-the-while living a life of spiritual discipline for our good and for His glory. Living a life of discipline brings so much peace, rest, order, efficiency and control.

It's about stripping away the carnal layers of self, stopping long enough to rest and listening intently enough in order to clearly hear and see God's desire and then being determinedly disciplined to walk in it. It's about asking God what He thinks...what He wants...what He desires... It's about stepping away when He says, "No", and proceeding when He says, "Yes." It's about being disciplined to be with Him...commune with Him...fellowship with Him... It's about knowing who He is...as my God...as my Father...as my Lord... It's about allowing Him to lead me in making my choices and decisions and then being disciplined to do as He says regardless of what I think...

Thank you Father for ALWAYS lighting the path before me so that I can walk in the fullness of You!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are always welcome... ♥