Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

Big Mistake...

I'm always known that being lackadaisical in any area can cause various consequences but I've recently found that being neglectful in taking my Progesterone is downright dangerous! :o{

For years I have struggled with various "hormonal issues" but have never been able to find a doctor that would "help" me. They would do the typical "hormone tests" and thyroid work-ups only to assure me that I was "normal". So...I just dealt with it. A little over a year ago my gynecologist diagnosed me as having
adenomyosis and encouraged me to have a hysterectomy to resolve some of my "issues". I drug my feet until it got to the point that I spent two weeks out of the month pretty much in bed and out of "commission"! (Not an ideal reality for a homeschool mom or anyone for that matter.) I finally agreed to the surgery although I still wasn't thrilled with the idea. It seemed that I felt great for several months after the surgery and then early last summer "issues" began to surface again. I went to my local family doctor with my symptoms...fatigue, no motivation, irritability, insomnia, weight gain (hips and rear),foggy thinking, ect... "You're depressed," was his reply. I mentioned the salivary testing and he informed me that he practiced western medicine and those kinds of things were voodoo! I tried telling him that although I still had my ovaries, I was certain I wasn't ovulating. "You have to be," was his response! Can you say frustrating!?! He again did the "routine" blood work-up and deemed me as "normal" although my thyroid was somewhat out-of-whack. Upon visiting with another medical professional that was knowledgeable in blood counts and was experiencing her own personal "hormone issues", I share that I wanted to find a doctor who did salivary hormone testing. Lo and behold she knew of an ARNP who implemented this sort of testing in her practice. I immediately got ahold of her number, called to schedule an appointment...two months before she had an opening! Have you got to be kidding me???? I explained my situation, how long I had been "suffering" and the fact that it was early August, we homeschooled and there was NO WAY this mom could function when it came time for school to start. I kindly asked the receptionist to ask the ARNP if she could recommend someone else for me to receive care from...I WAS DESPERATE!!! They called me back and said that they would "work-me-in" two weeks later! PRAISE THE LORD!!! I went, she assessed me as well as looked over my previous test results, did some repeat blood-work for her own satisfaction and sent me home with about three boxes of salivary hormone test kits for me to complete within the next 30 days. I as well was to take and chart my "waking" temperature each morning. The tests were interesting but not difficult. I returned about a month-and-a-half later and sure enough, the salivary tests confirmed my temperature chart...I wasn't ovulating and I essentially had NO progesterone in my body besides the fact that I was majorly Vitamin D deficient. She started me on both Progesterone (non-synthetic) and Vitamin D and within a month I was a totally different person until...this week! Things have been so crazy around here due to situations and circumstances beyond our control and there were a few days in the midst of my month where I simply went to bed and forgot to take my Progesterone! At this stage-in-the-game, I'm saying, "I MADE A BIG MISTAKE!" One I certainly won't do again. I have noticed, my family definitely has noticed and Kyle has vowed to make sure I don't again forget!!! I CAN'T WAIT until I can start pumping that back into my body!!! I want to eat everything in sight as well as feeling exhausted, unfunctionable, cranky, agitated, emotional...need I go on!?! So...while Kyle and the girls are downstairs working on a new project in our home, I'm off to take a hot bath and then crash in my warm cozy bed!!!


http://www.momisteaching.com/wp-content/uploads/tired_woman.jpg


1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a roller coaster ride that has been. Hormones are crazy aren't they!

    I'm glad you'll be feeling better soon~

    ~Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are always welcome... ♥