Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

Who Are We Serving?

I know I shared this in one of my blog posts last week but my heart is blessed once again this new day because of how God has confirmed Himself to me through the voice of the Holy Spirit. Kyle's dad is not well and is back in the hospital so while traveling to spend the day with him early yesterday morning Kyle and I discussed what service to God looks like. It was a good fulfilling discussion yet we came to the conclusion that most don't see "service" the way we do which is fine but sometimes leaves us viewed as, "where did you come up with such a philosophy?" (We tend to get that look often!?! I guess that's what being a peculiar Christian generates...)

When Kyle came in to chat with me this morning as I was getting ready for the day and before he left for work, he said, "Wait until you read Oswald this morning. You know what we discussed yesterday...it's exactly what today's devotion covers!" Confirmation...oh how I love confirmation. It's a reassurance that we are hearing the Holy Spirit in clarity and truth.

I can distinctly remember the day God spoke truth to me on what service to Him means and looks like so on a quest to "find that day" I made my way downstairs to the "adult" bookshelf where Kyle and I keep our favorite reads and pulled my stack of completed journals out. I leafed and flipped through the pages until I located 9~02~08 where God spoke, I wrote and then received this truth for my life. I even have a visual diagram that He impressed on my heart to aid me in applying this concept. It all boils down to fact that so many times we get caught up in "serving others" that we forget to serve Jesus Christ Himself. We get so caught up in programs, busyness, ministry that we fail to serve Jesus personally. We serve in His name but forget to put Him first. In light of others, we lose sight of our Savior.

In the first part of Mark 14 the account is recorded of the woman who had the alabaster jar of perfume in which she broke and anointed Jesus' head. The disciples were appalled that such value would be wasted on such a menial act when the value of the perfume could have been used to feed the poor...Jesus reminded them that this expression of love to Him was "a beautiful thing". It wasn't what she did for others, it was what she did for Jesus! Taking time for Him, extending her love to Him, giving all she had to serve Him... God has shown me so vividly how for so long I had it so wrong. For that I am sorry and have sought forgiveness yet I am grateful that on that day in 2008 I was enlightened and the depth of that enlightenment continues to grow. I desire to serve Jesus!!!

As I reflected on a few excerpts out of 'My Utmost For His Highest' this morning my heart was blessed, touched, reminded...
~Beware of anything that competes with your loyalty to Jesus Christ.
~The greatest competitor of true devotion to Jesus is the service we do for Him.
~It is easier to serve than to pour out our lives completely for Him.

Serving God for me means:
*daily time with Him
*praise to Him
*thoughts toward Him
*words filled with His life
*love extended towards others
*obedience to His call
*loving, listening, learning

I will "break my flask" and anoint my Lord this day by pouring my life out before Him!


1 comment:

  1. So true! What wonderful reminders to put God first~

    Hey I just noticed your countdown to your birthday. Mine is the 24th :-)

    ~Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are always welcome... ♥