Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Listen...

The strength of the vessel can be demonstrated only by the hurricane, and the power of the Gospel can be fully shown only when the Christian is subjected to some fiery trial. If God would make manifest the fact that "He giveth songs in the night," He must first make it night.~William Taylor

Life has been full of ups and downs, potholes and difficulties...frustrations and uncertainty...trials and waiting. We've spoken words of agitation and cried tears of helplessness. We've conveyed the unanswered questions and prayed many times over. The only place we find solace in times and seasons such as these are straight from God's Word and through the presence, comfort and guidance of the Holy Spirit.

We are studying the book of James in Sunday School and this past Sunday we talked alot about 'being quick to listen and slow to speak...' something I would humbly admit doesn't always come easy for me. It goes against who I am in the natural man and the character born within me yet it is instructed in God's Word and that is a truth that I take very seriously to heart. It's amazing that the very Scriptures we were studying as a group are exactly what the Lord has been teaching me on a personal level.

Kyle has been having a multitude of health trouble again therefore bringing a continual essence of "night" which understandably is very discouraging to him. In the time I spend with the Lord praying for him, He reminds me, "Mendi, listen. Stop thinking about what you are going to say next and just listen to what Kyle has to say. Listen to how he is feeling. Listen to his heart. Listen to his hurt. Listen to his needs. Listen to his struggles. Just listen..." As I have put this instruction into practice, I have learned so much about a man whom I have daily grown more in love with for nearly 22 years. I've learned so much about his heart...how he feels...what he dreams...where he's hurting...physically and emotionally...

God's Word is SO true.
It NEVER falters or fails.
It ALWAYS brings about growth in my life.
It CONTINUALLY bears fruit for His glory as I work it out in my day-to-day living.

Although "night" has been upon us, Jehovah-Jireh has given us a song to sing!
May the power of the gospel be fully shown in us and through us.


3 comments:

  1. Praying for you in this trial! I noticed one of your labels for this post is ulcerative colitis. Is this the health problem Kyle has. I too suffer from that and I can tell you the listening part is extremely important. I hate chronic illness very much, but it has made my marriage stronger as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda~Would love to visit with you a little more. E-mail me at kmmmo@iamotelephone.com

    Thanks~
    Mendi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending hugs and prayers dear friend.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are always welcome... ♥