Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Sting of Conviction...


MaKayla, Mal and I are tremendously enjoying, gleaning and growing from our daily readings, devotions and discussions out of 'Beautiful Girlhood'. My only regret...I sure wish I would have started this several years ago when MaKayla was Mallary's age. The Lord reminds me to not focus on past mistakes but to be a good steward of the time and teaching that He is affording me...here and now!

This morning's chapter was entitled, "Making Herself Beautiful", and as with all of the chapters we have read together over the past few weeks, it was very enlightening and full of rich truth. As I progressed word by word, page by page, the countenance of one daughter in particular whose name beings with "M", began to change. It somewhat resembled an image of despair. Upon completion of the chapter, I asked her, "You have a look of despair on your face. Is something wrong?" Her response, "I just feel really, really convicted."

This comment didn't really surprise me as God has been speaking LOUDLY to some of us here in the O'Riley home on the subject of simplicity, modesty, femininity, appearance and naturalness. Now for anyone who knows us very well, knows that we tightly grasp each of these areas already, yet the Lord is taking us to deeper more profound levels than what is at the time comfortable. Discussions and conversations in these particular areas have been frequent and many times the essence of these conversations become uncomfortable, frustrating, embittering and convicting to the point of tears. It's not that what God is asking is difficult or unattainable yet it requires change... And that change is impossible if surrendering of the heart doesn't come first.

Ouch!

That's where the painful sting of conviction comes in. When we know that God is right. And when we know that God's will is perfect and best. And when we know that God is showing us that what we are doing and how we are living falls short of His plan for who He wants us to be. Who He created us to be. When we know that God is telling us that He desires for us to change so that we can reflect Him more radiantly.

Ouch!

The sting of conviction hurts. It scars our pride. It humbles our attitudes. It stares us in the face, shines deep into our hearts and reveals the yuck that God so desires to remove.

As I shared with this one that I love so much, conviction is a key that God is extending to us in order to release us from the prison cells that keep us locked up. It's God saying, "My dear child, see this or see that, it is keeping you from the full reality of Me. It is what is holding you captive. Here, here is the key to freedom. There is a better way and if you will trust Me, I will release you into the life of freedom that I so desire for you. Take hold of the key, make that change, let that perception of life go. Take the key, release that stronghold and watch the prison doors open."

We so often view conviction as punishment when in essence, it's God giving us the key to a more fruitful, abundant life. It's Him showing us the solution...the answer...the avenue to healing and freedom.

Conviction hurts because it is a reminder that we are nothingness without the reality of Jesus. It reminds us that, "we aren't all that, without Him." It reminds us that anything short of His grace leaves us destitute without hope. It reminds us that all-too-often we are DEAD WRONG!

Conviction leaves us feeling vulnerable which is right where God wants us. He wants us to see where we are wrong and admit that He is right. He wants us to lay down that which is comfortable and pick up that which will stretch us, grow us and transform us into His righteousness.

That's right where she is! That's right where we are!

God is convicting and the sting of conviction is painful.
Yet once we heed and respond in obedience, freedom will come.
It is promised!


I am so thankful for grace! I am so thankful that God loves me enough to convict me! I'm so thankful that He cares enough for me that He corrects me in love and in gentleness. I'm so thankful that when He convicts me and gives me the courage to admit that He is right and that I am wrong, that He gives me the strength and instruction I need to lay it all down, turn completely around and head in the opposite direction. He doesn't just correct me and leave me there standing. He nurtures me and gives me hope.

Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart,
and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles,
Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Acts 2:37



1 comment:

  1. I love that book! Thank God for sensitive hearts that can hear the spirit convict!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are always welcome... ♥