Yeah! Spring is finally arriving here where we live and we are so excited!!! The days are becoming more consistently warmer and with that means more time outside! Last night once Kyle got home, we all put on our work clothes and started the enormous task of cleaning out around the pond north of our house. We need to get right on this as once spring does arrive and things begin greening up, the weeds will overtake the area where we need to work and it will become next to impossible to clean out what needs removed. Not only will the weeds overtake but the chances of running nose-to-nose with the slithering creatures increases and although none of the four of us cares for to see much less step on a snake, one person in particular has a peaked out fear of them. We did get much accomplished yesterday evening and hopefully in the next few days and weeks, we can get finish it completely. Speaking of work...jobs...tasks...
This past Sunday, Kyle was given the most recent edition of 'Worship Leader' magazine. It always has some really great articles in it that not only speak to worship leaders in general, but to any heart that is seeking to know God more intimately. The magazine is great because much of what is within, is geared toward teaching and rejuvenating the individual soul that Sunday after Sunday after Sunday is entrusted with leading their prospective group of worshipers straight to the Throne of Grace.
One article that I read the other evening contained the following:
This job has been given to me to do.
Therefore, it is a gift.
Therefore, it is a privilege.
Therefore, it is an offering I may make to God.
Therefore, it is to be done gladly, if it is done for Him.
Here, not somewhere else, I may learn God's way.
In this job, not in some other, God looks for faithfulness.
~Elisabeth Elliot~
Therefore, it is a gift.
Therefore, it is a privilege.
Therefore, it is an offering I may make to God.
Therefore, it is to be done gladly, if it is done for Him.
Here, not somewhere else, I may learn God's way.
In this job, not in some other, God looks for faithfulness.
~Elisabeth Elliot~
I wonder how many times Elisabeth played this over in her mind as she served the Lord in the capacity in which He placed her. I wonder if this is how she reminded herself to keep going, despite the difficult conditions she was in. Serving a people who took the life of her husband. No doubt she grew weary and discouraged...
I read this once. And then I read it again. And then I read it again. With each time that I read it, the words and the reality within were so very profound to me. Not only did they pertain to my life individually, but I saw where the truth that they conveyed, were the necessary encouragement our entire family needed.
How many times instead of focusing on "my job" do I look around at others and "their jobs" and become distracted? Critical? Judgmental? Envious? Discontent?
The Lord has given each of us...individually...certain, distinct and deliberate jobs. Do we see them as a gift? Do we view them as a privilege? Do I regard "my job" as an offering? Do I do what I have been entrusted with gladly as unto Him? Am I learning as I live "my job"? Does God see faithfulness in me through how I do what I am called to do? Through my attitude?
We as a family visited about this last night over supper. Each person outlined and acknowledged "their job" that God has deliberately given to them.
For one of us, it is getting up and going to a place of employment that provides insurance and finances for us to live...being the spiritual headship of our home and our family...leading God's people in worship...teaching, nurturing and training...
For myself, it is doing the laundry...planning the meals...caring for our home...teaching, nurturing and training...being a submissive help meet...managing finances...
For another, it is getting up with a good attitude...completing school work...practicing for Sunday morning Worship...caring for her bedroom...
For yet another, it is caring for her cat...being diligent about her school assignments...brushing her teeth without being reminded...
Of course this isn't a complete list for any one of us but you get the idea. Even the smallest of responsibilities is "a job" that God has given specifically to us. May we be found faithful!
I read this once. And then I read it again. And then I read it again. With each time that I read it, the words and the reality within were so very profound to me. Not only did they pertain to my life individually, but I saw where the truth that they conveyed, were the necessary encouragement our entire family needed.
How many times instead of focusing on "my job" do I look around at others and "their jobs" and become distracted? Critical? Judgmental? Envious? Discontent?
The Lord has given each of us...individually...certain, distinct and deliberate jobs. Do we see them as a gift? Do we view them as a privilege? Do I regard "my job" as an offering? Do I do what I have been entrusted with gladly as unto Him? Am I learning as I live "my job"? Does God see faithfulness in me through how I do what I am called to do? Through my attitude?
We as a family visited about this last night over supper. Each person outlined and acknowledged "their job" that God has deliberately given to them.
For one of us, it is getting up and going to a place of employment that provides insurance and finances for us to live...being the spiritual headship of our home and our family...leading God's people in worship...teaching, nurturing and training...
For myself, it is doing the laundry...planning the meals...caring for our home...teaching, nurturing and training...being a submissive help meet...managing finances...
For another, it is getting up with a good attitude...completing school work...practicing for Sunday morning Worship...caring for her bedroom...
For yet another, it is caring for her cat...being diligent about her school assignments...brushing her teeth without being reminded...
Of course this isn't a complete list for any one of us but you get the idea. Even the smallest of responsibilities is "a job" that God has given specifically to us. May we be found faithful!
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart,
as working for the Lord, not for men,
since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.
It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
Colossians 3:23~24
as working for the Lord, not for men,
since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.
It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
Colossians 3:23~24
What a great quote! Elizabeth Elliot has spoken to me so many times over the years - what a wise and godly woman!
ReplyDelete