Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Truth That Brings Me Freedom...

The Truth of what my heart has been digesting over the past several days has been refreshing as well as life-changing. God has been nourishing me with the meat of His Word and I am so excited to discover many "keys", "nuggets" and promises that bring freedom to this mind of mine that has been captive for so very long. Captive and enslaved to so many things that I had no idea how to find liberation from. Captive and enslaved to so many things that I didn't even realize were there.

One thing that I seem to consistently struggle with is indecisiveness. I've not always been this way yet for the past several years, the reality of it has kept me bound. Should I? Shouldn't I? Should we? Shouldn't we? What is best? What is right? Is it wrong? Is there a better way? What does so-and-so think? What does so-and-so want?

I think this stronghold has been so prevalent because somewhere along the way I very much became a "people pleaser". Instead of being disciplined to set my face like flint on Christ, I started placing the approval and acceptance of others of utmost importance. Many times I put what I felt their opinion was ahead of what was right, what was wrong, what was best... In turn I often found my mind confused, overwhelmed and frustrated.

Last week, Kyle and I were discussing and deliberating a decision that needed to be made for our family. A big decision that involved a significant amount of money. A big decision that involved several dynamics. As was typical, it was the, "Should we? Shouldn't we? Is it right? Is it wrong? What do we desire? What do the girls want? What is best? What is permissible? What are the pros? What are the cons?" The longer we talked about it, the more confused we were. The more confused we were, the more frustrated we became. We prayed. We listened. Neither of us discerned a "clear" direction.

As I sat down with my study last Wednesday morning, the focus of what was being taught was:
'We win freedom on the battlefield.
In this war, the battlefield is the mind.'

The key verse was:
"You will keep him in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast,
because he trusts in you."
Isaiah 26:3

Neither Kyle nor myself had peace... We needed peace... We longed for peace...


As I journeyed on in my study I learned that the key, nugget and promise to finding peace is having a mind that is steadfast on Christ. That was no surprise to me. I knew that. I've known that all my life. This time around though, something was different.

I learned that the Hebrew word for mind is yester. Yester means "frame, pattern, image; conception, imagination, thought; device... it is what is formed in the mind (i.e. plans and purposes)."

I learned that our minds work to frame every circumstance, temptation and experience we have.

I learned that each of us sees events from our own perspective and context.

I learned that each of us puts events in different frames and act accordingly.

I learned that our reactions depend on how we framed the event.

I learned that in order to have peace I must set my mind steadfast on Christ and allow HIM to frame each and every event, situation, circumstance, temptation and decision I am faced with.

Wow! That seemed easy...

As I sat there, I prayed and thought about what I had just read and my eye was drawn to the family pictures that hang on our wall. The frames that surround the picture don't change the picture themselves yet they change the look of the picture. If I put a lime-green frame around those pictures rather than the mahogany ones that are placed on them now, the pictures themselves wouldn't change but the way I see them would.

So many things in my life are that way. When I frame them with Christ, they look one way. Distinct...defined...certain. Yet when I frame them with myself, they look totally different. Blurry...questionable...confusing.

Amazing...simply amazing...

Before I consider my own opinion or the opinion of anyone else, I must first and foremost frame whatever is on my mind with Jesus. He will always bring things into the proper perspective...whether it's a decision, a circumstance, a temptation or just life in general.

I purpose to frame my mind with Jesus!

That truth brings freedom!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That frame illustration is so powerful! True words - and ones I've been struggling with as well.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are always welcome... ♥