The days of summer are quickly fleeting by and although I am one who greatly enjoys the season of fall, I reluctantly acknowledge that these hot humid days will soon be gone. The singing of the locusts reminds me that as reluctant as I may choose to be, the seasons will change...

I praise the Lord for how He has orchestrated each day of our summer break (Mallary would have a hard time confirming that we've actually had a "break" since we've done some sort of school (math and reading) each day). For the most part we have been diligent to stay on somewhat of a schedule which is a reality that is so fruitful for our family. In years past we have "good intentions" of a "summer schedule" but within the first few weeks ditch routine as to "enjoy summer to its fullest". In doing so, much disorder, laziness, frustration and discontentment result.
As the days, weeks and months of summer seem to be closing in on us, Kyle and I recognize a few areas where we have lacked determined discipline...our eating, our finances, our bedtimes, our morning time of communion with theLord. We haven't been completely frivolous in these areas however we can tell that by how we feel physically our food choices and portions haven't been wise. We can tell by our checking account/savings plan that the amount of money to be "tucked back" hasn't come to fruition. We can tell by the way we react when the alarm clock goes off each morning that we didn't get to bed when we should have. We can tell that by pushing the snooze and lingering a little longer in bed that our day begins rushed, frazzled and unfocused.
Don't get me wrong, it's always good to relax a little and let the boundaries stretch however letting them exceed limitlessly isn't profitable...physically or spiritually. It seems as though when we allow those boundaries to exceed, we loose focus and then find ourselves in a place where there is no vision. It reminds me of a ship out to sea and how quickly we can lose our way when there is no map or the map we have grasped, we have thrown overboard. We end up in a place with no sense of direction and Satan attempts to cloud our minds with hopelessness and defeat.
I'm so thankful this day that I am loved by a God of grace who says, "Return unto Me and I will set your feet back on the path I have chosen for you!"
Discipline is good...really good! It's back to a life of balanced meals, a bridled budget, determined bedtimes and bright eyes at 5:00 a.m.! The gut will feel better, the savings will grow, the energy will return and the day will begin with purpose! :o)
Be very careful, then, how you live-
not as unwise but as wise,
making the most of every opportunity,
because the days are evil.
Therefore do not be foolish,
but understand what the Lord's will is.
Ephesians 5:15~16
not as unwise but as wise,
making the most of every opportunity,
because the days are evil.
Therefore do not be foolish,
but understand what the Lord's will is.
Ephesians 5:15~16
The singing of the locusts is such a melancholy sound isn't it! We've lost focus in a few areas as well - the cicada song is a good reminder to start putting things back in place. PS - Your girls are just beautiful! :)
ReplyDelete