Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

Celebrating Life...

July is a month of birthdays for our family which equals lots of fun get togethers and more than usual food intake, and since my sister and her family as well as my dad and mom live only about 45 minutes from us, it's easy to plan something last minute and still make it work!

After watching some short home video clips Saturday afternoon I see very much where the Lord has done a mighty work in my life when it comes to celebrations such as these! When our girls were little I can remember having "grand affairs" when it came to their birthdays...choosing a "theme", having specific decorations that matched, baking and designing two or more theme cakes, serving lots and lots of food and inviting 40+ people. Those were fun times and
alot of great memories were made in the process but as has been the tutelage of the Lord these past five years, I've learned to SIMPLIFY in unimaginable ways!!! I remember very vividly the stress of the making those celebrations a reality...cleaning, cooking, baking, preparing... In the end, I was a grouchy wife and momma who inevitably used the repeated words, "You're gonna have to wait a minute! Can you not see that I am busy!?! I have too much to get done to attend to that! Blah, blah, blah!" Who was I having the party for anyway???? Wow has God changed my heart and my view of things...making the complex simple! I am very grateful for the transforming work He has done on my heart! :o) After all, it's not about an extravagant gathering, it's about celebrating life!

This summer Bri started the month off turning '18' on the 8th!
(Fun cupcakes with ice cream!)



The next week MaKayla turned '16' on the 14th!
(Buttermilk brownies w/homemade ice cream!)



The week following my sister Marci turned '42' on the 22nd!
(Ice cream dessert...her favorite!)


And to end the month Kyle celebrated # '39' on the 29th!
(Brownies...he got into them well before we sang!?!)



I've learned that the elaborateness of the time together most certainly doesn't reflect the depth of the love that I have for these that God has blessed me with. I've learned that a last minute, "Hey, I think we are going to throw some burgers on the grill, do a little swimming and celebrate a life," works just as well with alot less stress than invitations sent out a month in advance, over-the-budget money spent on food and rat racing preparations. I've learned that the fewer in number the more quality time spent. I've learned that self-promotion is a sin and doing things with even a hint of intent to impress others glorifies self rather than Christ. I've learned that the time I would spend on getting everything done for the big event, I would rather invest in the personal life of the one I am celebrating!

It's been a month of celebrating life and I am deeply grateful for yet another year to hold these that I love so much close to my heart! I'm grateful that I still have them to squeeze tight, be warmed by their smiles and touched by their presence day in and day out! I'm grateful that I can still hear their voices in my ear first thing of a morning or at the push of a button! I love to love them and I'm honored that they love me in return!

I'm celebrating life!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! So when can I celebrate life with you? I'll bring dessert! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are always welcome... ♥