As I spent time with the Lord this morning, I found such refreshment, comfort and assurance in the quietness yet realness of His presence. I found myself so thankful for His friendship, His fellowship, His touch... I sat and relished in the blessing and richness of the fact that this One who created me also loves me beyond measure and calls me friend... I am humbled...
I continue to read through the book of Jeremiah and the words that I read this morning spoke volumes to me.
This is what the Lord says about this people:
"They greatly love to wander;
they do not restrain their feet.
So the Lord does not accept them;
He will now remember their wickedness
and punish them for their sins."
Then the Lord said to me,
"Do not pray for the well-being of this people.
Although they fast, I will not listen to their cry;
though they offer burnt offerings and grain offerings,
I will not accept them.
Instead, I will destroy them with the sword, famine and plague."
Jeremiah 14:10~12
I retrieved our commentary from the shelf in order to find some clarity in several verses that I read but the way that the writer expounded on the above portion of scripture really jumped off of the page at me... "chronic sinfulness".
Our family is very aware of what anything "chronic" is as Kyle dealt with, suffered from and battled Ulcerative Colitis for many years. Something "chronic" means it doesn't go away...it might diminish somewhat for a time yet it always returns...more vigorous and destructive than when it left the time before. It not only affects us as individuals but those we are closest to as well. It drains us, depletes us and causes us to be weak. The only way to alleviate what is "chronic" is to remove it so that healing can be manifested. Such as the case with Kyle... Two years ago this past April, he had his entire sigmoid colon removed. Despite the pain, difficulty and trial of that experience, the journey was well worth it given the fact that his health has never been better (and most importantly, we grew spiritually to immeasurable depths). Even still, the consequences of that ravishing disease have left their mark.
As I reflected and compared "chronic sinfulness" with "chronic disease" they amazingly mirror each other. The only way to alleviate "chronic sinfulness" is to admit that it is present and then surrender the reality of it over to God so that He can remove it. What freedom and healing results when we humbly relinquish our lives over to His control and allow Him to "remove" that which is chronically slipping us up and keeping us from being the righteousness of Him.
The more I thought, pondered and prayed, the Lord compelled me to acknowledge those "chronic" things in my life...
*negativity (attitude of doom and gloom)
*selfishness (self-absorbed/focused)
*self-pity (victim mentality)
*criticism (knit-picking people or situations)
*laziness (lack of discipline and pro activity)
*idolatry (extending the bulk of my time and attention to things)
*idleness (wasting time on things/activities that keep me busy but get me no-where)
No doubt my list will grow, however these were immediate areas that He brought to my attention. Areas that need immediate determined repentance... Areas that need immediate discipline... Areas that need immediate eradication...
Our family is very aware of what anything "chronic" is as Kyle dealt with, suffered from and battled Ulcerative Colitis for many years. Something "chronic" means it doesn't go away...it might diminish somewhat for a time yet it always returns...more vigorous and destructive than when it left the time before. It not only affects us as individuals but those we are closest to as well. It drains us, depletes us and causes us to be weak. The only way to alleviate what is "chronic" is to remove it so that healing can be manifested. Such as the case with Kyle... Two years ago this past April, he had his entire sigmoid colon removed. Despite the pain, difficulty and trial of that experience, the journey was well worth it given the fact that his health has never been better (and most importantly, we grew spiritually to immeasurable depths). Even still, the consequences of that ravishing disease have left their mark.
As I reflected and compared "chronic sinfulness" with "chronic disease" they amazingly mirror each other. The only way to alleviate "chronic sinfulness" is to admit that it is present and then surrender the reality of it over to God so that He can remove it. What freedom and healing results when we humbly relinquish our lives over to His control and allow Him to "remove" that which is chronically slipping us up and keeping us from being the righteousness of Him.
The more I thought, pondered and prayed, the Lord compelled me to acknowledge those "chronic" things in my life...
*negativity (attitude of doom and gloom)
*selfishness (self-absorbed/focused)
*self-pity (victim mentality)
*criticism (knit-picking people or situations)
*laziness (lack of discipline and pro activity)
*idolatry (extending the bulk of my time and attention to things)
*idleness (wasting time on things/activities that keep me busy but get me no-where)
No doubt my list will grow, however these were immediate areas that He brought to my attention. Areas that need immediate determined repentance... Areas that need immediate discipline... Areas that need immediate eradication...
Therefore this is what the Lord says:
"If you repent, I will restore you
that you may serve me;
if you utter worthy, not worthless,
words,
you will be my spokesman.
Let this people turn to you,
but you must not turn to them.
I will make you a wall to this people,
a fortified wall of bronze;
they will fight against you
but will not overcome you,
for I am with you
to rescue and save you,"
declares the Lord.
"I will save you from the hands of the wicked
and redeem you from the grasp of the cruel."
Jeremiah 15:19~21
I desire to be restored...
I desire to serve...
I desire to utter worthy words...
I desire to be a spokesman...
I desire to be a fortified wall...
I desire for the Lord to be with me...
I desire to be rescued...
I desire to be saved...
I desire to be redeemed...
I desire to be free from "chronic sinfulness",
so that I can be healed!
A wound that once looked like this...

now looks like this...

A man that took on this appearance
of ailment, weakness and disease...
now radiates a vibrant life of health and
strength!!!
No matter our "chronic" state,
the Lord alone
is our Healer, Rescuer, Redeemer
and Saviour!
"If you repent, I will restore you
that you may serve me;
if you utter worthy, not worthless,
words,
you will be my spokesman.
Let this people turn to you,
but you must not turn to them.
I will make you a wall to this people,
a fortified wall of bronze;
they will fight against you
but will not overcome you,
for I am with you
to rescue and save you,"
declares the Lord.
"I will save you from the hands of the wicked
and redeem you from the grasp of the cruel."
Jeremiah 15:19~21
I desire to be restored...
I desire to serve...
I desire to utter worthy words...
I desire to be a spokesman...
I desire to be a fortified wall...
I desire for the Lord to be with me...
I desire to be rescued...
I desire to be saved...
I desire to be redeemed...
I desire to be free from "chronic sinfulness",
so that I can be healed!
A wound that once looked like this...

now looks like this...
A man that took on this appearance
of ailment, weakness and disease...
now radiates a vibrant life of health andstrength!!!
the Lord alone
is our Healer, Rescuer, Redeemer
and Saviour!
"Prone to wander Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love. Take my heart Lord take and seal it, seal it for thy courts above..." Great post.
ReplyDelete