The birds are singing.
The sun is shining.
It's been a day of laundry.
And school.
And chats with MaKayla & Mal.
It's been a day of note-writing.
Nourishing souls.
Praying for those close to my heart.
It's been a day of regrouping after a somewhat gross weekend.
The blah days previous set the stage...
Sunday was my birthday...
My 40th...
I love growing older but I very much dislike my birth-day.
And Mother's Day.
Pomp & circumstance simply just doesn't thrill me.
At least pomp & circumstance for myself.
I know...most would say that it's a selfish way of thinking but it's just what it is.
I'm working on it.
#699 ~ Parent's who chose me...
A text from my sister put things in perspective for me & gave me hope...
"Please have a good day.
It is your birthday...
You are a year older but also a year or day closer to meeting our Savior face to face.
It's really not all bad.
It will pass in less than thirteen hours.
Be patient and savor the moment.
Love you."
As I read words that spilled from her heart, tears fell from my eyes.
I was thankful she didn't "correct" me yet tried to understand.
She encouraged me in my "sorrow" :) and pointed me to Christ.
#700 ~ An understanding sister's heart...
You see, I don't mind getting older. As a matter of fact, I love it. A good friend of mine, from the previous church family we were a part of, and I would go round and round about birthdays & getting older. She resisted getting older yet I always reasoned with her that with each year I gain in this life, is one more year God has gifted me to love my husband, nurture our girls & share His love with those He places in my path. I see it as one more year to invest in those I love rather than a number that grows larger with each 365 days that pass. I think this mindset came after I lost a good friend to cancer when she was in her 20's & had three small children. I decided then that I would not complain about age...on the contrary, I would give thanks for it.
I woke Sunday morning to these...
And this...
And these...
A favorite children's book that I once read to MaKayla (over-and-over-and-over) played out the story of some children who fixed their momma breakfast on Mother's Day. She dreaded the thought of it knowing what kind of a mess she would arrive to, only to be pleasantly surprised in finding breakfast made & the kitchen spotless. MaKayla said for years she has wanted to do the same for me so... She awoke very early Sunday morning, made me from scratch, homemade apple streusel muffins complete with a pot of my favorite coffee. ;)
#697 ~ Hand-created birthday cards/letters of love...
A few friends from church made a point to tell me happy birthday, give me cards & wrap me in hugs. One in particular cornered me & said, "Don't think you're going to sneak out of here without..." She knows me all-too-well. :)
Judge me if you must, but birthdays (only mine of course) aren't my cup-of-tea. It seems for one reason or another they are laden in disappointment, frustration, bad weather (it is February of course) & just too much hoopla. It's my problem, I know... Go ahead & judge. I'd just as soon brush past them without much acknowledgement at all. I'm thankful it's over & even more thankful that God continues to give me life to live, breath to breathe & a heart to love.
"So, in honor of your 40th birthday, I am going to tell you 40 things I love about you..." (Loved the list by the way...) ♥
"You have been with me through the up's and the down's and never gave up on me! Thank you for how you love me..." ♥
"This day 40 years ago God, my God, breathed into your lungs the breath of life & He knew your name..." ♥
I'm praying for many more years to live that life, breathe that breath & love those God has given me.
And yes, if you wondered, I've repented of my bad attitude...