Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

I Wonder...

School books are put away & although I have a Bible study that I am eager to dig into, after contemplating & recontemplating a nice facebook prompting from a tried & true friend, I opted to do a quick blog post. I have about decided that I need to choose...facebook or blog. It's hard to "keep up" with both & when I give attention to one, the other suffers & vice versa. I think there's a Scripture in God's Word about that...

"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other,
or he will be devoted to one and despise the other.
You cannot serve God and wealth."
Matthew 6:24
 
Although this verse is specific to money, it seems to mirror so many other areas in life as well. That which we feed is that which is going to grow & take up space in our lives whatever it may be. All we have to do is to look at our time, our checkbooks, our cupboards, our calendars... That which it holds is that which is most valuable to us. That which it contains is that which has most important place in our lives. A sobering reality... So, I continue to seek God as far as facebook... I love being "connected" to people that I otherwise would not be able to keep in touch with... Nurses from Kyle's surgery/illness. Far away friends. Family that I don't see often. Yet I wonder, is the "connection" worth what it is costing in the long run... Time. Attention. I would admit that I "enjoy" social media. Probably more than I should. What about it is so drawing to people? How do people get so "addicted" to it? What is so compelling about it that causes people to log on & check it multiple times in a day? Believe me, I've thought this through more times than I can count. It seems that some people want "to be in the know" & some people simply want "to be heard"...
 
How much of it truly glorifies God? I mean really, some of the things I see & read is shocking to me... 
 
How much of what people post is drama? They get on a band wagon & spew away... Saying things that are really no one else's business. Making certain situations & circumstances so much bigger than they are. Involving people that have no reason to be involved. 
 
How many times do we tell the world those things which God, Himself wishes we would just tell Him? That we love Him. That we believe Him. That we believe prayer changes things. We post it to the world but do we truly take the time to share those things with Him personally?
 
How often do what we see changes our view of others? Believe me, facebook allows one to see another for who they really are. What they do. How they live. The things they say. What their deepest convictions really hinge on. Sometimes, I see things that cause me to view people differently than how God would desire me to view them & then I wonder, "Why do I do this to myself?"
 
How regularly are we spending time "connecting" with those in the outside world, when we should be "connecting" with those in our own presence? Or doing something constructive? Or investing those moments in the here & now responsibilities that God has entrusted to us?
 
And then there's the whole "approval" arena. If enough people "like" our status, it's a rush. It boosts confidence. It means were "accepted". And if they don't "like" it, well then it must mean they are mad or don't agree or don't care or like someone else better.
 
I wonder if we calculated the amount of minutes we spent/times we logged on to facebook & designated that many minutes to deliberate Bible reading/study, if our desire & hunger for social media would wane. If our desire & hunger for Christ would increase.
 
I know some who are just "creepers"... They get on, read the gossip, keep up with people of "interest" but never comment. They do it just to "keep in the know".
 
Several months ago as I was contemplating this (see I have been thinking it over for quite some time), the Lord revealed some very distinct things to me regarding social media/facebook/twitter, ect. He showed me areas of product in relation to these ways of "connecting & communicating"...
*time stealer
*jealousy instigator
*offense initiator
*pride inviter
*attention separator
*judgement antagonizer
*tempter
   *mentally
   *spiritually
   *emotionally
 
I'm not saying it affects all people in all these ways. I've just recognized them in my own heart/mind/spirit at various times & I have a feeling they do the same to others. And only a few days after He revealed the above to me, He brought this verse to vivid light:
 
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody. 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
 
I love sharing the light & love of Jesus on facebook. I love being an encourager. A prayer warrior for things that otherwise I may not know about. I love seeing pictures of faces that otherwise I would miss seeing. I love being warmed & inspired by others. But then I wonder... Is it worth what it is costing me???
 
Time. Unrighteous thoughts. Unsettled feelings. Time. Judgemental tendencies.
 
 Some people enjoy being "fed" by these things; personally, I don't.
 
I really don't need the "approval" from others. I don't need to be heard. I don't need to be "liked". I don't need to know everyone else's business. I don't need to have my opinion of others negatively influenced. Plain & simple, I long to be smack dab in the center of God's will.
 
I wonder if my life would be simpler to just return to blogging where I would have one "outlet" to focus on...
 
Just a little something (or a big something) I'm praying about...
 
 
At the same time they also learn to be idle, as they go around from house to house;
and not merely idle, but also gossips and busybodies, talking about things not proper to mention.
1 Timothy 5:13
 
We hear that some among you are idle. They are not busy; they are busybodies.
2 Thessalonians 3:11