A rare moment of me being alone in a particular room.
Mal is "freshening up" after her daily walk.
MaKayla is away tutoring.
Kyle is gone to work. :(
The sun shines brightly through the windows.
Bath water runs.
Laundry is in process.
School is complete for the day.
A text comes in saying MaKayla made is safely to her destination.
David Nevue softly plays on the CD player.
Today has been a productive day.
I am learning...
Even being a full-time homemaker, I can find myself wasteful of time. Lacking in determination. Falling short of completing tasks. Unfocused. Jumping from one thing to another. Unproductive.
At the first of the year I made a list of certain things in my life that I wanted to work on. This was one of them.
For myself, there is nothing more discouraging or frustrating to me than when I come to the end of the day and I have several things started, but very few finished. When I reflect on the hours that God has given me and I can pinpoint minutes-upon-minutes that I have wasted and not only the minutes-upon-minutes but I know what I have wasted those minutes upon. When I look back on the wastefulness of my time and realize what I could have gotten accomplished. When I can see the things that should have gotten done. In short, I look back on the day and I have regrets... I see that I fell short... I realize that I have been an unfaithful steward...
I find that the days that I am most productive... the most focused... the most fruitful... are the days that I have started with intent.
intent - fixed with strained or earnest attention, as the gaze or mind;
having the mind, gaze, or thoughts fixed on some object
or with some purpose in view
having the mind, gaze, or thoughts fixed on some object
or with some purpose in view
Days that I have started:
*with exercise
*with prayer
*with praise
*in the Word
*with God as my hub
*with God as my helm
*with a list of tasks that God has entrusted to me
*putting others first and myself last
*being diligently mindful of what the day "looks like"
I am also recognizing & discerning the things that I allow to steal my time...
*computer time - all encompassing (e-mail, facebook, news, blogs, ect)
*piddling
*jumping from one task to another without completion
*current jigsaw puzzles on the coffee table :{
*phone (cell or otherwise)
I keep in mind that each day is going to be different.
Divine interruptions happen.
Down time is refreshing (in moderation).
Communication with the outside world is imminent.
I remind myself often that my day belongs to God and not to myself.
Therefore I am open to whatever direction He chooses to take my day.
At the same time, I am becoming more diligent & determined to stay on task with the duties & responsibilities that He has entrusted to me unless He otherwise reveals something different I should be doing. In being diligent, I am teaching MaKayla & Mal what it looks like to be a homemaker. In being diligent, Kyle comes home to a sane wife & a half-way organized, clean & orderly home. In being diligent, the Lord is glorified through the work of my hands & the determinedness of my heart, mind & spirit. In being diligent, I can end my day feeling like I have been a good steward of the time & resources that God has graciously blessed me with.
I am realizing the richness of focus.
I am finding the fruit of determination.
I am learning the satisfaction of diligence.
It's a day-by-day process but, little-by-little, I am arriving.
The diligent find freedom in their work;
the lazy are oppressed by work.
Proverbs 12:24
(The Message Bible)
Proverbs 12:24
(The Message Bible)
Divine interruptions, down time and communication with the outside world - yes! Very well said!
ReplyDelete