I'm not exactly sure where the time goes but lately reality has been knocking on my door. I think it all started when we began thinking about and preparing for Bri's graduation that is a little over a week away! MaKayla is working on a special project/gift for her and in turn we've been digging through the past sixteen-plus years. To be honest, it's kind of put me in a docile, melancholy mood and when you mix that with lots of rain and cool temperatures, it has a tendency to make one heart-sick...literally!?! That "one" is me... I'm sure once the gifts are given, the food is eaten, the decorations are put away and the realness of witnessing Bri's face with the sound of the Pomp & Circumstance is behind me, warmth will fill my heart again...
~My Girls~
~Mallary~
I must admit that although I LOVED when my girls were babies and toddlers, I find that I "enjoy" them more the older they get. I loved their smell, their innocence, their cuteness, their quest to constantly learn something new... My girls are growing up...rapidly!?! Instead of persistent care, I get to fellowship with them. Instead of just being their mom, I now get to be their friend as well. Instead of them doing their thing and I doing mine, we do things together. Instead of me being alone to fix dinner in the kitchen, they now are preparing meals right alongside me. Instead of Old Maid, we now challenge one another to Scrabble, Monopoly, Canasta or Yahtzee. We enjoy Happy Hour at Sonic, lengthy chats sitting on the patio, mastering jigsaw puzzles and just "hanging-out"! On the other side of all those "grown up benefits" that brings joy to my life, my heart still aches when I face the reality that my girls are growing up!?!
I am grateful for the work the Lord has done in my life over the years as I have raised, taught and nurtured my girls. In that time, the Lord has raised, nurtured and taught me as well! MaKayla would be the first to attest that her momma isn't the same woman she was in the first 10-12 years of her life!?! No question about it, she's glad I am who I am now and not who I used to be!?! Don't ask her any details for what she would tell you might be scary!?! I love learning with them, growing with them and simply being with them! They have brought so much joy to my life through the course of time and I'm so thankful for the relationship that we share!
My girls are a rich treasure to my heart and I daily thank God for them!
That is so sad, and yet so precious! My 3 oldest are all boys, and I think it is a bit different than with girls. My 18 year old son is "practicing" being a leader, and starting to break away. Heart wrenching, but important, non-the-less. He needs to be able to leave our family one day, and start a new one. With daughters, (I have one - 11 yrs. old), I think they can remain your close friend forever - actually getting closer as the years go on. Of course my boys and I will always be friends -- but in different way.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you! It is hard to watch them grow up, but we are raising adults, not children. That is the goal! Well done!
Maellen
Maellen~
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting our blog and thanks for reminding me that we are raising adults not children... I guess I've never quite thought of it that way but will tuck your words of wisdom deep in my heart!
Blessings to you~
Mendi
I'm right with you! It's been a melancholy spring as I realize that next year it will be our turn for a graduate! Where did the time go? Did I savor every day?
ReplyDeleteWhat sweet pictures and memories~
ReplyDelete~Cinnamon