Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Inadequacy...

I've been mulling over in my mind this morning what I might do a post on and as I sat in the quietness a few hours ago, the Lord began instructing my heart regarding the trap of comparison. It seems to be a an attribute of weakness that several of us struggle with in our home. We tend to look at others and then compare, judge and measure. The end result either leaves us feeling puffed up or totally defeated, neither that are condoned or accepted by God, rather the opposite. As I thought about the reality of comparing, judging and measuring, the Lord reminded me that each of us are created as unique individuals and the only life we should strive to pattern our lives after is Him, Jesus. It seems that when we look at others or to others we walk away wanting what they have (physically, spiritually, materially), or wishing we could be what they are, or doing what they're doing, or living the way they are living. I guess that is why the Bible instructs us to not look to the right or to the left but straight ahead at the One who crafted us, created us, and designed us. To look at the One who has a specific purpose for our lives without correlation to anyone else. You would think we would have this down by now given the fact that the past two weeks and in the one to come, our Sunday School Class has been/will be learning about the spirit of inadequacy. A spirit that originated from the deceiver himself in order to bring destruction and defeat on God's children. A spirit that tempts us to question how equipped we really are. A spirit that when entertained always leaves us empty, discontent and unsatisfied. A spirit that brings about self-pity and unfruitfulness. A spirit that keeps us stuck-in-the-mud and paralyzes us from doing great things for God. A spirit that if not careful will sneak in and become a "friend" to our children as well.


As I sat in the stillness, the Lord lovingly reminded me that I am His and He is mine and because of that reality, I need not look at anyone but Him, the Author and Perfector of my faith.

2 comments:

  1. Perfect! Thank you!
    Comparing myself to Him only, and never measuring up~
    Maellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's always someone prettier, skinnier, more spiritual and with a nicer house. :) It makes a great whip that Satan uses when I'm tired to totally defeat me!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are always welcome... ♥