Mind boggling? At times.
Fulfilling? Absolutely.
I'm so thankful for Kyle's encouragement & insistence on me taking this time...
For my sake (and sanity)...
For Mal's sake (and success)...
For the sake of our family (and peace/harmony)...
I would humbly admit that God has used the past several days to put some things in clear perspective for me... (Back to school planning in a bit.)
You know, life can get mundane.
Boring.
Unfulfilling.
And in the mundanity, boredom & unfulfillment we quickly find ourselves discontent, ungrateful & lacking respect & value...for others & for ourselves. We don't see what we or others do as purposeful. We take for granted time spent & knowledge invested. We view what we invest multiple hours into as merely a "job" or a task. We expect rather than gratefully receive. We overlook rather than appreciate. We waste moments rather than see them as "opportunity".
Minutes...
Hours...
Days...
Weeks...
Months...
Years...
Invested.
A committed laborer...
A deliberate workman...
A team member...
And then a team leader...Now a supervisor...
Not only in the company who signs his paychecks...
But in the lives he interacts with on a daily basis.
Assisting...
Encouraging...
Training...
Supporting...
Giving ones a chance who others simply wanted to give up on.
Seeing life...
Rather than just machines...Or parts...
Or quotas...
But yet through the years because no college education was achieved or no elite title was deemed, sadly he has viewed his position at this place of employment simply as a "job".
And I ask, "What deems one job a 'career' but another job a 'job'?"
Or is a "career" just allotted to those with a degree...
Or a title...
Or a six-figure salary?
Isn't a career anything we pour passion & intent into?
Life & meaning?
Purpose & resolve?
Or an occupation that society looks at as substantial?
Or a line of work that comes with "perks"?
Last week marked the 25th Anniversary of Kyle's place of employment & Kawasaki went to great extremes to honor their employees & to showcase how far the company has come & grown since it's opening in 1989. Catered meals, generous gifts, special presentations & then an Open House... Policies are strict & due to the fact that Kawasaki is a Foreign Trade Zone, this would probably be only the second or third time that I have had the privilege of touring the plant & actually seeing what Kyle does on a day-to-day basis. (Also the reason for no "tour pictures".) He talks about this part & that part, this process & that process, this machine & that machine but hey, I have the mind of a woman so the terms crankshaft or spindle or camshaft simply don't register in my mind that only understands the specifics of toilet cleaning, stain-killing, meal planning & exquisite laundry folding. :) I was blessed to be able to do the walk through tour twice... The first time I was so busy people
Perspective.
Seeing...
Hearing...
Experiencing...
Perspective.
Being there...
Perspective.
And on his part, having the opportunity to share with us what he does each and every day, brought his heart, mind, soul & spirit satisfaction. It was a great reminder that his investment in a solid company & in real lives, isn't "just a job", it's a career. Something he pours time, energy, passion, intent, diligence & dedication in to. ♥
And on my part, I have found myself more grateful, more respectful & more prayerful over the work of his hands (as he fixes machines, measures parts & keeps lines running smoothly), the efficiency of his mind (as he formulates charts, documents necessary information & troubleshoots), the movement of his feet (as he walks from building to building & office to office & line to line) & the compassion of his heart (as he ministers mercy, understanding & encouragement to real lives). ♥
Sitting at that dining room/school table the past few days, as encouraged by the one who holds my heart, I see where I am just like him... I haven't viewed what I do as a "career". I haven't invested the minutes, hours, days, weeks, months & years as wisely as I should have.
As I told MaKayla, there's only a few things in my life that if I could have a complete do-over, I would so choose that option. Many decisions & choices over the years I regret but there are some that are heart-wrenching to me... How I invested in the early years of the girls' lives & the time I didn't take & the intent I didn't put forth, & the purpose I didn't sew deep, I would so check the "do-over box" if the option was available. All-too-often, I didn't put first things first.
Ministry.
Social extensions.
And then the first thing suffered.
Individual life (Kyle, MaKayla, Mal).
Family (as a whole).
Time.
Nurturing.
Education.
Never-to-be-redeemed moments.
Mal begins her freshman year of school in a few days. I've spent a great amount of time praying, planning, preparing. For her. For me. Spiritually. Scholastically. Emotionally. I wasn't intentional as such with MaKayla & were it not for the grace & mercy of Christ, the reality of failure & remorse would rivet me to the core. Yes, she achieved & succeeded & excelled, yet where was I? I am indebted that God filled in the gaps where my absence was present. I am beyond thankful that MaKayla stepped up to the plate & was deliberate in learning & studying & accomplishing where my lack was the reality.
It's a new season filled with a freshness of purpose...
So am I.
After all, it's not just a "job", it's a career.
Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men,
knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward.
You are serving the Lord Christ.
~Colossians 3:23-24 (ESV)
Servants, do what you’re told by your earthly masters.
And don’t just do the minimum that will get you by. Do your best.
Work from the heart for your real Master, for God,
confident that you’ll get paid in full when you come into your inheritance. Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you’re serving is Christ.
The sullen servant who does shoddy work will be held responsible.
Being a follower of Jesus doesn’t cover up bad work.
~Colossians 3:23-24 (The Message)
So good, Mendi. Love having you guys come over here while we are gone. It's a big job coming up. Thankful for your reminder to seize the day and live life now...being present. As God is present in our lives and we practice awareness of His presence...you are so right...life becomes so full of purpose and meaningful. It is so amazing when we realize that God is ordering our steps. I need so much to be aware of the moving of the Spirit in my days and moments. Thank God for the Holy Spirit - LOVE in action. Love your pictures and the way you express yourself in words. May God richly bless your school year.
ReplyDeleteI found out that their is a new home school group in Clarinda. I am SOO excited that their are young families giving up a certain life so that they can gain the life God has for them. Here's to glorifying God...and enjoying Him forever! Jane
Jane, you bless me. Thank you. ♥
Delete