Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

From My Heart...

Are there seriously only five days until Christmas??? Where did this year evaporate to anyway??? As Kyle and I visited earlier this morning we both agreed that things are just "different" this time around. Is it because the weather stayed warmer longer? Is it because we are getting older? Is it because Kyle had a spell of illness which took a chunk of our November/December? Is it because our focus is in a different place?

Preparing for Christmas this year has been a tremendous struggle for me. Some of the decorations that I typically can't wait to pull out and get up, are still neatly tucked in rough totes. The cookie containers that I am always eager to fill as a small gift to Kyle's employees are still sitting on the shelf unpurchased at the store. The gifts that are normally neatly wrapped, decorated and placed under the tree are still sitting in the basement in piles and stacks. The crafts that are excitedly constructed haven't even been attempted. The shopping I always anticipate for months was painful. I struggle with "why" things are different, yet I have peace. Does it all matter anyway?

If not careful, the decorations become idols. The cookies are too soon gone. The pretty wrapping and bows are thrown away. The gifts are soon forgotten. The crafts collect dust. The shopping requires money better used other places. After all, why do we celebrate?

The other day we sat as a family and discussed our Christmas traditions and reflected on what this time of year truly means to us. I asked the question, "If it were your birthday and everyone was hustling/bustling around, running here/there, doing this/that and you were completely forgotten, how would you feel? If you saw all the money spent and presents purchased and none were placed before you. How would you respond? If a season were in your honor yet you went unnoticed...

I wonder if that's how Jesus feels?

I wonder if He feels forgotten?

I wonder if He feels unnoticed?

As I've reflected on "why" Christmas is different for me this year I've come to the conclusion that an inward battle has been taking place within me. One side is vying to be true to traditions and continue doing the same things we've always done. The other side is pleading to keep the focus truly where it belongs and on Whom it belongs.

I'm so thankful this Christmas that I know the Greatest Gift.

I'm so thankful that when the tree is down, the cookies are gone, the wrapping it tossed and the temporal gifts are forgotten, Jesus is still mine. He will still wake with me in the morning and tenderly tuck me in bed at night. He will guide my way with every step that I take and He will pick me up when I fall. He will instruct me as I seek His counsel and He will discipline me when I make the wrong choice. He loves me beyond measure and He isn't present just one season out of the year, but day-to-day-to-day.

It isn't about the season, it's about the Gift.

The Greatest Gift of all!

Jesus

2 comments:

  1. So true! I'm sorry to hear that Kyle had some health issues - I hope all is well now.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are always welcome... ♥