As Kyle and I continue to study, prepare and teach together the reality and necessity of spiritual warfare against familiar spirits, we find ourselves bit-by-bit being transformed. We found ourselves this past weekend allowing the Lord to deeply plant in our hearts and minds the truth and promise of His adequacy in our lives. Adequacy that enriches and defines our lives as individuals and then spills over into our marriage, our family, our friendships, our church...our day-to-day acquaintances. How will we ever know, experience and spread joy if we don't know who we are in Christ? How will we ever be confident, fulfilled and complete if we don't find our core value and worth in Him?
Kyle and I individually are realizing more and more how we have depended on people, accomplishments, jobs and things to bring us worth, affirmation and purpose when the only place we should look is our God, our Creator, our Saviour and our Lord.
We are at a point in our Sunday School Class where we are learning how to defeat the devil when he begins to tempt us with his lies and deception. We are learning how we need to audibly remind him who we are in Christ so that he will flee from our presence. We are learning that God has a specific plan and purpose for our lives as His children and until we realize His love, value and adequacy in us, we will never feel good enough, worthy enough, adequate enough. We are learning that we must know His promises, stand on His promises, walk in confidence with His promises. We are learning that our adequacy comes from Him and Him alone...not in a job, nor a ministry. Not in a friend, nor in a bank account. Not in a title, nor in our children. Not in an ability, nor in a talent. Not in a car, nor in a house. Not in an accomplishment, nor in an achievement. In the blink of an eye, all of these things can be taken from us. If they were, would we still feel value, purpose, worthy, adequate?
Too much of my 38 years of life has been a roller coaster...up one day, down the next...
All based on where my value at the time is originating. I'm thankful that I don't have to live up to anyone else's expectations or that the wrong I've done in the past defines my worth. I'm thankful that when someone "can't understand" how I am living or why I do the things I do that my life loses value. I'm thankful that who I am is not based on how I was raised or whether people agree with the choices I make. I'm thankful that opportunities missed don't keep me from God's provision today or from His path for my future.
I am learning to stand on and believe that my adequacy comes from Christ and Christ alone!
I know that nothing good lives in me,
that is in my sinful nature.
Romans 7:18
that is in my sinful nature.
Romans 7:18
You did not choose me,
but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit --
fruit that will last.
John 15:16
but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit --
fruit that will last.
John 15:16
For He chose us in Him before the creation of the world
to be holy and blameless in His sight.
Ephesians 1:4
to be holy and blameless in His sight.
Ephesians 1:4
Looks like a perfect weekend to me! I'm so thankful that in Christ I am complete - it's not what else I need to do or be - it's just sitting at his feet available for service.
ReplyDelete