Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Flashback Friday...Never Again...



I decided it only fitting to do our Flashback Friday of Fletcher today.

It has been a most painful week for our family.

Each day we think missing him will get easier...but it doesn't.

Each day we think we will we get up and the sadness will be less...but it isn't.

Each day we think that the lack of his presence will be less noticeable...but it's still profound.

My birthday came and went and I really didn't care much...

Kyle walks into an empty, lonely living room each morning...his first fresh air of the day partner no longer accompanies him.

The one who always accompanied MaKayla to the mailbox is sadly absent.

Mallary's constant outside friend no longer tags alongside of her.

Fletch no longer nudges our elbows with his nose when he wanted a pat on the head, a visit outside, a taste of whatever it was that we were eating or just acknowledgment of, "I am here, love me!"

We fail to hear the "warning call" when a stranger pulls into our drive or knocks at our door.

He won't be there waiting to jump in when Kyle's truck is sitting in the driveway.

His paws no longer print the breezeway floor.

The treats under the sink bought specifically for him will go uneaten.

Even Megan noticed the absence of his greeting yesterday when she approached the door of our home.

Kyle's "Fletcher songs" that he would always sing to his "male companion" are now unnecessary.

I've always been critical of those who mourn the loss of a pet, I mean seriously, it's an animal...

Never again will I laugh at, chide or make fun of one who grieves that friend, companion, protector...

And now...I must force myself to make the trek to the burn barrel for the first time...

...alone...

We're sad...
Life is painful...
Our hearts are lonely...

It's a difficult Flashback Friday...

1 comment:

Your thoughts are always welcome... ♥